Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Something New

...by popular harassment.

My tales of both The Motherland and The Promised Land are grossly overdue. Unfortunately, said tales must continue to simmer on the proverbial back-burner. In the meantime, enjoy the following thoughts on the greatest summer blockbuster of 2008, from which I'm still recovering.

[SPOILER AVOIDERS, BEWARE!]

-- Most of my crowd thought it was over about two-thirds of the way through. When we were proven wrong, I realized that I could literally watch that plot line forever, if someone would just write and film continually. Freaking amazing.

-- If the overturned truck (among other things) doesn't lock an effects nomination, I will lose a chunk of faith in the movie industry. The entire audience applauded.

-- The Uptown totally lives up to its rep.

-- Having anyone else play the Joker after this would be a crime. In honor of Heath's brilliant portrayal, I kind of hope that character is left just as he was: hanging, metaphorically and plot-wise. The Joker never really disappears, and we all know it. No need to revisit.

-- Bale's Batman vs. Craig's James Bond: who would win in a fight?

-- Even with half a face, Aaron Eckhart still beats Christian Bale in both looks and talent. Just MHO. (If you haven't, catch Eckhart in Thank You For Smoking.)

[SPOILER AVOIDERS, RESUME]

When I see something this brilliantly written, designed, and performed, I marvel at the artists involved. Much as I love live performances, the visual magic of film allows their contributions to be immortal, with more immediate potential to transcend generations. I then wonder about my own legacy in this world, whether I can even hope to leave a mark so indelible.

Then, an old friend unexpectedly gives me hope. My dear friend Kevin, whom I haven't seen in about 5 years, was digitally discussing a particularly hard day in his commercial dive school adventures. He punctuated his story with this statement: "one of your spine-adjusting hugs would be just the thing right now."

As hallmarks go, I could do worse.

No comments: