Thursday, June 12, 2008

The man to whom I always return.

Every few years, this poem re-enters my world. And no matter how I've grown, no matter how things change, it somehow seems appropriate. This passage in particular calls to me at this stage in my game of life, reminding me that my regrets and mistakes have their cause and lesson, that my hopes cannot be rushed or forced, but rather, indeed...

"There will be time, there will be time
To prepare a face to meet the faces that you meet;
There will be time to murder and create,
And time for all the works and days of hands
That lift and drop a question on your plate...

Time for you and time for me.
And time yet for a hundred indecisions,
And for a hundred visions and revisions,
Before the taking of toast and tea."

Thank you, Mr. Eliot. You always seem to know what I need, whether I like it or not.


3 comments:

Moose-Tipping said...

Man, that dude was one big sissy.

Vita said...

You just wish you had his way with words, ya big ape. :)

Anonymous said...

Quoting Prufrock in a blog entry? That's possibly the nerdiest thing I have ever seen.

The fact that I recognized it when I read the first few lines and recited the rest out loud... possibly a close second.